Digital Artefact – Student Hub for BADHIT

Digital Artefact – Student Hub for BADHIT

As part of the DH2001 module, Concepts and Collaborations in Digital Humanities II, we were tasked with creating a digital artefact. My group consisted of 3 of my class mates, Eoghan Long, Luke Crowley, and Andrew Douglas.

Originally, when we first started thinking about the project we had the idea of doing an interactive tour of sorts. We eventually branched into the idea of  creating a tour of UCC for incoming students. After a bit more deliberation, we decided that we would remain within our own course and create a website that would act as an introduction to incoming students to the Digital Humanities & IT course in UCC allowing them to see what the course and modules entail while also giving them a tour of the campus helping them get familiar with important sites within the university.

After coming up with this idea, we sat down and started story boarding how we wanted the site to look and feel. We decided that we needed to take photos from around campus to put into the site so we also put together a list of sites that we needed to take pictures of. We also spoke of how we could utilise a possible image panorama feature within the site and added this to our “To Do List”.

Eoghan taking some photos

After taking some photos of the campus, we set to work on creating the basic outline of the site. It originally started out as a basic HTML page with 4 images which would each link to a page with information relating to each of these pictures. We created a Google Doc so that we could each have input on what went into these information pages and this allowed us to edit each piece of text before they ended up on the main site.

First run of site

Map Building

 

 

After speaking more about the project, we decided that the site needed a bit more interactivity to it so we created a map where when you clicked on a particular part of it it transported you to a page with information about the part of the map you clicked on. We used our Google Doc to create the information for each of the webpages so that each team member would have some form of input of what went into the pages and add facts if they had any about a particular area. We soon realised that this map wasn’t compatible with mobile so we added in a table that had the names of each of the areas on the map hyperlinked so that the user could just click the name and they would be transported to the page with the information.

When this was complete, we had a homepage with a navigation bar at the top that linked back to the homepage and another page that linked to the interactive map we created. We used a free online tool called Dermandar to allow us to create panoramas for the website which allow the user to see more of a space than you could with an ordinary image. We used this to create a panorama of the Digital Arts and Humanities Learning Space and also, on the page for the UCC Quadrangle on our interactive map as well as on a few other pages. These give the user the opportunity to take in more of an area than you can with a with a standard image which we felt would be useful for incoming students as it allows them to gain a better sense of the place.

After creating the bones of the site, we found some CSS code online that was free to use under a Creative Commons 2.5 generic license. We decided we would encorporate this into the site as the use of CSS allowed all the pages that we created to be uniform in layout making these pages easier to create and read. We then each created a page that corresponded with each link on the websites navigation bar (Home, Map, Gallery, About, Projects) which we each added content to. I then embedded a Twitter feed onto the bottom left of the page that was linked to our #uccdh hashtag allowing all the Tweets from the department to be shown on the site.

Following this, we started creating webpages for each of the modules we had completed both in first and second year while giving an overview of each. In total, we created 13 web pages between us with modules from both first and second year which was proofread by all of us before being posted.

In the end, we had created 41 webpages and 2 CSS pages over the course of a week to bring our site to the end result.

Link to site; http://cs1.ucc.ie/~aw13/dhittour/index.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *